As part of OCA family, OCA youth leadership program DFW is to inspire next generation of Asian American and Pacific Islander (AAPI) to make a difference and become catalysts for positive change in their home, school, workplace, and community, and also keep the influence of diversity and culture from their identity: Asian American and Pacific Islander (AAPI).
OCA Youth Leadership program was founded in 2018, with current President: Peter Shi, Samuel Wu , Jingying Alice Cao.
• Genuineness, and honesty toward others
• Commitment: positive energy that drives the collective effort
• Collaboration: empowering others and self through trust
• Common purpose—working with shared aims and values
• Collective analysis of issues at hand and tasks to be undertaken
• Maintaining civility in light of differences in viewpoint
• Conflict resolution: creating group consensus, inclusion of different cultures
• Conscientious citizenship: thinking critically about societal issues
• Service as a way to become an effective, active citizen in the community
We have variety of opportunities for young leaders thrive and challenge themselves. In the past year, they organized and led many events that not only contributed to community, but also make themselves become more confident. The series of activities including the following highlights:
• Organize routine volunteering work for community services
• Raise donations for foods programs and other groups in needs
• Planned and organized performances and holiday celebration activities for seniors
• Leads events to bring Asian culture into mainstream society such as: Tea ceremony, Paper cutting, and Chinese history, etc.
• Help execution for OCA annual banquet
• Lead youth volunteer team on DFW annual Dragon boat and Kite festival
we will continue to train our young leaders via events, mentoring programs and training sessions taught by experts and professionals in different fields.